A recent study indicated that around 10% of the population and 90% of allergic asthmatics had positive skin test to mites.
50 dust mites can fit on the head of a pin and up to 2 million can reside in your mattress. They thrive in warm, dark, humid conditions in mattresses, doonas, pillows, underlays, blankets, quilts, carpets and rugs, upholstered furniture, curtains, clothes, soft toys. Here they live on a diet of skin scales, which we shed daily, and also animal skin and mould. They produce as much as 50 faecal droppings each day, the most common cause of asthma and allergies.
House dust mites have always been considered a trigger factor for asthma sufferers. Yet for quite some time, it hasn’t been acknowledged that individuals with eczema may be affected by dust mite until recent research showed eczema episodes could possibly be triggered by them.
Here are a few quick suggestions to get rid of dust mites:
- Hot wash sheeting every week, wash pillows and quilts every six or eight weeks at 55º – 60º C
- Cover bedding in specialized dust mite bedding like a dust mite mattress protector to provide continuous protection.
- Ensure that the covers totally enclose the mattress, or quilt or pillow, with a pore size of well under 10 microns.
- Dust with a damp cloth and vacuum carpets and soft furnishings once weekly.
- Stay away from toxic dust mite spray.
- Change or clean the vacuum bag before storing it away.
- For individuals who are afflicted by severe dust mite related eczema – replace carpet with wooden floorboards or a different type of flooring, such as lino, very short pile synthetic carpet or cotton rugs
- Avoid allowing pets into the bed room and living areas. Wash pets weekly and comb long-haired pets to remove loose fur.
- Ventilate rooms to allow fresh air in and leave your bed unmade to air it out during the day. If the eczema sufferer is allergic to pollens and grasses, keep windows closed early in the morning and early evening when the pollen spores are most active during summer and spring.
We hope these pointers can help you breathe easier, live easier.